It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Sunday, April 13, 2014

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening




I know I've posted before that my favourite poem (The Road Not Taken) is by the fabulous Robert Frost, but he's actually my favourite poet as well.  This year we didn't really have a "proper" winter, only a few hours of snow that melted pretty much straight away, but in previous years I often thought of another of his gorgeous poems, especially riding the horses back through the forest in the gloaming as big, fat flakes of snow are falling quietly around us.


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   

He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!