It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Saturday, January 11, 2014

Restaurant Review : Da Giancarlo, Pula, Sardinia



Okay, so we'd all been out on a fun mini-bus tour organised by the family who owned our hotel.  Papa was driving, with his son Luca doing a vague bit of translating.  We'd been to a few beaches, helped to empty one little seaside bar that was closing that day for the season (sacrifices, sacrifices), and had a good look around.  We were hungry, and being off season, there wasn't much open.

We kept driving around and couldn't find anything, and then Papa stopped the van and asked a passer-by where we could find something that'd be open.  He directed us to Da Giancarlo, which looks absolutely nothing from the outside, but is big and quite nicely set up inside.

I say again, this is the off season, and this restaurant was half empty and you would have thought that they would have welcomed a table of 7 with open arms, but no flipping way.  They very grudgingly gave us a table and, from the manager down were astonishingly rude to us the whole time we were there.  They were also rude to every other person in the place.  I've never experienced such blatant rudeness anywhere in the world.

The menu was okay, when we eventually got it, and the food was okay when it finally arrived.  I asked for some grana (aka parmesan) and it was as though I'd asked for some sort of occult sacrifice.  I was told that parmesan isn't eaten in Sardinia (seriously?), but when I gave him "the face" I was bought a small bowl of it with very bad grace.

We had a carafe of house red and another of house white, and they were okay, but the whole experience was just so disappointing and I wouldn't recommend anyone visit EVER.  Don't give these grumpy people your patronage.

I know I usually put the address and contact details at the bottom of my reviews, but I'm not going to do it, because I don't want you go to there.  If you're desperate to be insulted, I'm sure you can find all the details you require on the web.

When I got back home I looked them up on Trip Advisor and it appears that they're rude to almost everyone.  Click HERE to read some reviews from others.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!