It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Thursday, August 1, 2013

Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake

The scrummy finished product.  The top stuck to the pan and I can't figure out why.  The choc chips turned into some molten glue like substance and were hell to get off the pan in the wash.  Had to wash the pan THREE times (by hand, our stupid new dishwasher wouldn't even touch the surface of that mess) with a scrubby and then eventually poured boiling water into it to try and melt the chips (that worked!).

I found this recipe on sixsisterstuff.com which is where I find lots of my CrockPot recipes.  This cake is NOT a CrockPot recipe though, it's all normal oven stuff.  It looked so yummy that I had to try it, and despite sticking like mad to the top of the tin, it's VERY yummy.  It's also quick to get into the oven, as many ingredients are pre-mixed (never cooked like this before!).  My notes in italics, as usual, so let's get cooking!

Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake


  • 1 x 18.25oz package Devils Food chocolate cake mix (we don't have that in Germany - surprise! - so I used 1 x 485gm package Dr Oetker chocolate cake mix)
  • 1 x 3.9oz box instant chocolate pudding mix (we don't have that either, so I used 3 x packs of Dr Oetker chocolate pudding mix came to just over 100gm in total)
  • 1 cup sour cream (I had creme fraiche and creme legere in the fridge, so mixed them both together)
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs (beaten)
  • Half cup warm water
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips



  1. Preheat oven to 350f (or 180c).
  2. In large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs and water. 
  3. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  4. Pour batter into bundt pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray (we don't have that here either, so I used that squirty melty butter stuff you keep in the fridge).
  5. Bake cake for 45-50 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch and toothpick comes out clean (I got Skyping with my Mum and forgot about the cake!  It was fine after 55 minutes in our dodgy old oven).
  6. Cool cake thoroughly in pan for about 90 minutes before inverting onto a plate.
  7. I drizzled the top of mine with melted chocolate to try and minimise the damage done by the top sticking to the pan - and who doesn't like even more chocolate?



I used three packs of this - seemed fine.

One box of this was slightly less than what the USA ones weigh, but it still worked.

I had these in the fridge, so it's not EXACTLY sour cream, but it's close!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!