It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Thursday, November 22, 2012

Scottevest Trench Coat




I know I wrote about these Scottevest jackets last year, but I finally got my hands on one and I used it for the first time on this last short trip to the UK.

I flew to London Stansted on Ryanair and managed to get a return flight for the brilliant price of €55.  I think Ryanair is great - they're cheap and they run on time - but they do fly from odd places and if you want to check luggage in, reserve a seat, buy a snack, or get onto the plane first - you're going to pay through the nose.  That's why I only ever fly them with carry-on luggage (definitely one piece only, 10kg maximum weight and very strict bag measurements).  And make sure you check in online and print out your boarding pass before you go to the airport - if you don't you'll be hit with a €60 fee.  Really.

Ryanair was pretty much the reason I bought this Scottevest jacket, so I could take a lot more with me, wedged into the capacious pockets of the jacket - and it works!




On this trip over I packed the following into my jacket pockets, and I still had loads of empty pockets (it has 18!):-

  • 6 x 100ml tubes of mustard (yes, really)
  • 1 x 100ml tube of foundation
  • 1 x box of Lindt chocolates
  • 1 x bottle of painkillers
  • 1 x magazine
  • 1 x paperback book
  • 1 x purse
  • 1 x sunnies
  • 1 x Oyster card holder
  • 1 x set of keys
  • 1 x Ziplock of local currency
  • 1 x stack of UK Entry cards
  • 1 x iPhone

And, yes, it was a bit heavy, but it sat well and I didn't look like the Michelin woman (provided I didn't do it up and belt it - then I looked a bit odd).  I think it's well worth it (I got mine on special offer) and it will pay for itself in only one more cheap Ryanair flight.  I got the foggy grey one, but I think red would be more fun.






2 comments:

  1. This is worthy of a question rather than a comment.... How do u get through the X-ray machine?
    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brilliant thing about the jackets is that you take the whole jacket off and put it on the xray belt (just as you would any jacket) and they scan it all. Experienced users on the Scottevest website recomment packing smaller items into Ziplocks before putting them in your pockets, just to make it easier to lift out if security demands to see what's inside the pockets.

      Love my Scottevest jacket!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!