It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pinterest, I'm Hooked!


Oh dear, it's taken a while, but I'm hooked on Pinterest.  It seems I'm a very late adopter of the Pinterest website, but now it's got its claws into me.  I guess the only upside is that after you've been hooked for a few weeks, you start to discover that a lot of it is repeated and your usage tapers off a bit.

What's Pinterest?  If you're a guy, you probably don't know (or care), but if you're a girl you're going to LOVE IT!  Here's the semi-official explanation:-

Pinterest is a pinboard-style social photo sharing website that allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections such as events, interests, hobbies, and more. Users can browse other pinboards for inspiration, 're-pin' images to their own collections or 'like' photos. Pinterest's mission is to "connect everyone in the world through the 'things' they find interesting"[2] via a global platform of inspiration and idea sharing. Founded by Ben Silbermann, of West Des Moines, IowaPaul Sciarra and Evan Sharp [3] the site is managed by Cold Brew Labs and funded by a small group of entrepreneurs and inventors. It is one of the “fastest growing social services in the world.”

I'm not really sure about that "connect everyone in the world" fluff, it's certainly not that for me, but the way I see it is that it's an online version of reading a great magazine (house design, fashion, cooking, craft, anything really) and ripping out the pages that interest you and keeping them in a book, or pinning them up on a pinboard in your study, so you can go back later and look at them.

The brilliant bit is that people all over the world, with access to lots of things that you don't have access to, are "ripping out the pages" of things they see on the internet and then "pinning them on a pinboard" on Pinterest - and you can see then all!  So you can click on a picture of a cake that looks yum, then it'll take you to the recipe and you can "pin" it on your own virtual "Recipe" pinboard.  There are millions (billions?) of pictures and links on Pinterest.  If you're looking for inspiration, you WILL find it here.  Get the gist?

What am I "pinning"?  Well, it's a mix of house design (the dreams a girl has when living in a rental property), fashion (let's be honest, most of my "fashion" board is cowboy boots - yes, I am that predictable), recipes (have got a few lined up to try), and great quotes ("I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand" etc.).


One of my "pinned" quotes.


Anyway, give Pinterest a go if you love design, fashion, craft, cooking, travel, photography, animals, anything at all!  You can see I've added a new button on the top right where you can "follow me on Pinterest" - give it a click and see what I'm currently looking at.  You can even "follow" my boards and re-pin my pins onto your own boards.  See you on Pinterest!


One of my "pinned" kitchens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!