It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Thursday, July 12, 2012

Restaurant Review : Barenwirt, Salzburg, Austria




We switched hotels on Saturday to the Sheraton, on the other side of the River Salz, and used www.tripadvisor.com again to find somewhere for dinner.  Barenwirt is nearly 350 years old and got some great reviews - their claim to fame is they have the best fried chicken in Austria - well, I'll be the judge of that!

We walked back over the river and found Barenwirt without any problems.  They found us a table on a balcony overlooking the River Salz, which was seriously flowing, dragging huge trees downstream in its muddy, caffe latte coloured water.




I ordered the fried chicken (how could I not?) which came with a side of potato salad, and hubby ordered the schnitzel.  The fried chicken was really lovely, crisply fried and not greasy.  It came in five small portions with a fried chicken liver served in a little paper patty pan as an accompaniment (as much as I love foie gras, I'm not a fan of actual livers - weird, I know).  The potato salad was okay, but it's not the same as American or Australian potato salad - it's much heavier on the vinegar in the dressing and I only ate a little of it.




I was holding out to try a traditional Austrian dessert, Salzburger Nockerl, but I just didn't have any room - sigh.  Next time, Nockerl, next time!





Barenwirt
Mullner Hauptstrasse 8
Salzburg  Austria  5020
Phone:- 43 0 662 422 404

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!