It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Freudental Castle Ride

Freudental Castle



Friday was another of those days that you remember.  Where the weather is perfect and the company is perfect and it's one of those "best days" that you pull out when you're feeling a bit low.

Many of my "best days" involve horses, and this was no exception.  I got to the barn for my morning ride and Giaco was already pretty clean and Judith (my good friend, trainer and Giaco's owner) had plaited him up so he looked like a Prince.


Hello there, Prince Charming!


Giaco tried to do his latest trick of yawning and rolling his eyes as soon as I got close to his head with the bridle, as if to say "No, really, I'm just too tired today".  Instead of creasing with laughter, as I had been doing, when he was doing a huge theatrical yawn, I slipped the bit into his mouth and the bridle over his ears.  He got tricked, and the look on his face was priceless!  "Wait, what?  Hang on! What did you do there?".

Judith saddled her gorgeous 20 year old Hanoverian, Warwick, whilst I was organising Giaco and we jumped on and headed out into the forest in the sunshine.  We rode along sun dappled tracks and past huge fields of rapeseed before we turned along an ancient "Begging Road", following in the path of so many who had walked to Freudental Castle in the old days to beg for food and assistance.




There were horses and cows grazing at the sides of the road and our horses were on their toes, all zippy and happy to be alive on such a perfect day.  We had some lovely collected canters along the paths and through the forest, chatting all the while.  Judith is wonderful and rides alongside, or behind me, giving instruction the whole time - I'm getting better!

We didn't go all the way to the castle, but I think Giaco would like to have gone begging there for some carrots and a cuddle!  Lucky we did the ride when we did, as the following day the temperature dropped by 20c and the rain was coming in horizontally (and Giaco LOATHES water).

So, that's one of my perfect days - thanks Judith!  Is it only me, or do other people have perfect days involving horses too?


This is the view I saw on the way to the barn - glorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!