It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe



One of the many great things about living in different countries is that you get to taste a whole bunch of different foods, and one of my favourite foods is cake.

When we were living in Detroit, my friend Kris made me the most amazing chocolate cake I've ever tasted - Texas Sheet Cake.  I begged her to make it a few times whilst we were living there, and I've been making it since we moved away - it's always a huge hit.

I'm going to list the recipe as it was given to me, so get your groceries and get cooking!


Texas Sheet Cake


Mix in a large bowl

  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 tea spoon salt



Bring to a boil

  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup cocoa



Pour hot liquid over dry mixture, mix well, then add

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tea spoon baking soda



Pour into jelly roll pan and bake at 375f for 20 minutes.


Five minutes before cake is done, bring to a boil and stir

  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1/3 cup milk



Add

  • 1 pound icing sugar
  • 1 tea spoon vanilla
  • 1 cup walnuts



Frost cake immediately upon taking from oven.


Yes, I know it's a lot of butter and sugar, but it's worth it!

I use my mixer to do all the mixing, I find it works better than doing it by hand (and it's easier, and I'm lazy, so it makes sense).  For the frosting, I put the icing sugar in the mixing bowl, and add the hot ingredients, vanilla and walnuts and mix away.  If the frosting is too stiff, add a wee bit more butter (why not, your cholesterol is already soaring just looking at the ingredients).

It makes a lot of cake.  I made it today and have eaten some with a girlfriend this afternoon, cut up a wodge to go into hubby's office tomorrow and got a good portion to go to the barn in the morning for munching with friends after my lesson.  And there's some left in the fridge.

Oh, and it uses a LOT of dishes/bowls.  Here's a shot of what I used to make it.  It's one of those "lucky I've got a dishwasher" recipes!


2 comments:

  1. Texas sheet cake is one of the seven wonders of the world, truly. But walnuts in the frosting? Really? Just say no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't put them in either, but I've had it with them in and it's lovely. Could be a source of fibre? Yet another reason to eat cake?

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!