It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Clandestine Cake Club (CCC)

Red Velvet Cake, my absolute favourite, though I've never made it.
Does anyone have a recipe for this using ingredients I can find in Germany?


For the last few months I've gone cake crazy.  I've started baking a lot and luckily I have my hubby's office available as my taste testing crew or I'd be the size of a barn.  I'm trying to limit myself to one piece of whatever I make and then send the rest in to the office, or take it around to someone's house when I go for coffee.

Last week I heard about the Clandestine Cake Club, a large (and ever growing) UK group of people who love to bake, eat, drink and talk about cake.  I thought this sounded like a fabulous thing for someone like me, who loves to bake and try new cake recipes.

The basic premise is you get a group of friends and strangers (who will become friends!) together once a month.  Everyone bakes a cake (it doesn't have to be a fancy cake, just a yummy cake), and you bring it along to share out with the other members.  Everyone gets a taste of the other cakes, you have a bit of a chat and a laugh, then you share out the remaining cake so everyone gets to take some home.  The location of the cake eating changes each month and is always a bit of a surprise.

What I'm wondering is if anyone in the Rado/Konstanz area would be interested in taking part?  There's three of us who are already willing to give it a try, so if you like cake, chat, laughing, new friends and baking - let me know.  If we get enough people, I'll try to get it organised.  If you want to take part, please put a comment on the bottom of this blog or let me know on Facebook.

Now, here's a link to a recipe that I've heard referred to several times as The Best Frosting (Icing) Recipe Ever!  When The Pioneer Woman says that, I take it seriously, that woman knows her cake.  If we get the CCC up and running, maybe someone can make this frosting and put it on top of their first cake?


5 comments:

  1. I've never MADE Red Velvet cake, but I like to EAT Red Velvet cake. Can I be in the club?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, you definitely qualify for membership! Next time I'm in MI (July is looking good, put aside Target and Starbucks time!) I'm going to bring back a box of Red Velvet cake mix and then I'll be set.

      Delete
  2. *A* box? Who do you think you're fooling? More like 12 boxes. I've seen how you pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're right. I've still got 500 feet of aluminium foil and 425 sandwich size Ziploc bags from when we moved. I really miss Costco!

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic idea. I hope this eventuates because I'd love to read about your CCC adventures...Rado style!!!
    xo
    Sada
    Dressology HQ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!